Dental Talk Thursday | Tips For Your Childs First Dental Visit

Friday, December 9, 2016


 
Dental Talk Thursday | Tips For Your Childs First Dental Visit
 
 
For this weeks Dental Talk Thursday we are going to be talking about a very unpredictable time, your child's first dental visit.
 
Is your son or daughter visiting the dentist for the very first time soon? This can be a very stressful and unpredictable situation.

The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends bringing your child to the dentist six months after his/her first tooth comes in or by his/her first birthday, whichever comes first. It's best to schedule the appointment early in the morning because infants tend to be more alert and less irritable in the mornings.
 

Here are my top TWO tips to help you prepare for it:
 
TIP #1 - Get prepared the night before!
If possible, try putting your child to bed a little earlier than usual to make sure they well rested for the big day. Once you have them down, take a few minutes to make sure you have everything you need to bring.

I'd say one of the most important things to pack in your diaper bag is their favorite toy, blanket, stuffed animal, etc. to help them feel more comfortable in the unfamiliar situation.
Just in case the visit takes longer than expected, make sure to bring some snacks and extra diapers.

Take out a notepad and write down any questions or concerns you would like to discuss with the doctor so you don't forget anything while your there.
Here are some of the questions we get from parents a lot:
"How are my child's teeth growing?"
"When will they lose their first tooth?"
"What are some things I should be checking for as a parent?"
"How do I help them with teething pain?"
"How do I take care of their oral health?" (If you do have specific questions about home care for your child's teeth, I would suggest bringing in what you use at home to ensure proper technique.)


TIP #2 - Mentally prepare!
Envision how your day is going to go. Keep in mind that their first visit will probably go however your child allows it to. Each hygienist and dentist does things a little differently but I will tell you how I do things just to give you an idea. 

Personally, I do not rush anything with new kids if they are uncomfortable as to me it's more important that they have a positive experience so that they aren't afraid to come back. I cannot tell you how many adult and geriatric patients I see everyday who are still terrified to come to the dentist, even for a cleaning, because of a bad experience they had as a child.

If a child is super nervous I spend the appointment reviewing proper oral hygiene habits with the patient, discuss "sugar bugs", count their teeth, give them a chair ride, and introduce them to "Mr. Thirsty" and my "squirt gun." I demonstrate how My Thirsty works using a cup of water and sometimes I will even make hand puppet balloons using the air water syringe so that they can see it is not to be scared of.

If the patient seems to be okay with it, I will ask the parent or guardian who brought the child to sit in the chair with the child on their lap. This helps the child feel safe and secure.


FINAL THOUGHTS:
I see a fair of both ends of the spectrum. The more calm and confident the parent is, the more calm and confident the child seems to be.

Do not tell your child any negative things to expect about the appointment or that's all the child will expect. Play dentist at home several times before coming in, get them used to having someone looking in their mouth.

I would also suggest bringing your child with you to one of your dental cleanings first, not to get them looked at, but just to get them a little bit familiar with the office surroundings and staff.



- Rachel Faul, Registered Dental Hygienist


*Stay tuned for next weeks "Dental Talk Thursday" over at Facebook.com/RachelFaulFitness at 7:30pm EST

share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply